Thursday, January 23, 2014

Farm day

HI! Twice in one week to blog! A record for me!

I hope everyone is enjoying their weather. Here in Az. we are having upper 60's. It is unusually warm for this time of the year. Other parts of the US are going through usually cold. I am very grateful for where I live. 


This morning started out fast paced with a early run out in the mountains with the puppy I am training. She did very well until a huge jack rabbit took her attention. No amount of hollering could call her back. I just had to wait it out. Afterward we came back to the house and got ready for an egg pick up. 

The farm is a busy place with the chickens and all the predators that visit. My other two dogs help keep the coyotes and Cooper's Hawks from attacking the chickens the best they can. When the Hawks attack the chickens they cause the hens to become stressed and we have what I call, 'wonky' eggs. I have a standard poodle who I call the farm foreman. He is fearless behind the fenced in area against the coyotes and birds. Once we came across a badger while checking the fence line! He looked at me as if to ask, is that a short legged coyote!? We don't see many of those around here. We just watched it wiggle off into the brush. I was relived he didn't challenge it.  He knows enough to back off from a snake and when mountain lions are in the area, I don't get any rest. He is absolutely crazy with concern! He paces, barks and goes outside and comes in side. He can't sit still, yet he knows he needs to be careful but he tries his best to protect his territory. One summer night, we had the windows open. I heard him barking wildly, and then I could smell the fragrant smell of a 'stinky kitty'. I just knew he was telling that skunk who was boss. Soon I could hear him running down the hall, to announce his victory. I closed the bedroom door before he could pounce on the bed sharing in the victory. Skunks will eat the heads off the chickens in the dark of night. It was a very busy day cleaning his thick coat.

Today was a good day with cleaning and getting caught back up with the laundry. But mostly I wanted to post the flip sided sign I painted.  

A couple of pointers for the Gabion cages. I uses galvanized fencing and wire. They don't rust, so I read. Also attach a bottom to the basket cage. I know it sound silly to point that out, but if you don't have a bottom to it, your cage shape can be easily distorted. I tried to cut that corner. Didn't work. I do hope you get a chance to look up the Gabion walls on Google. There are some fun shapes out there. 
Until another time. Everyone stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment